Director of Development and Marketing – KFAI – Fresh Air Community Radio
KFAI is a volunteer-based community radio station that exists to broadcast information, arts and entertainment programming for a Twin Cities audience of diverse racial, social and economic backgrounds. By providing a voice for people ignored or misrepresented by mainstream media, KFAI increases understanding between peoples and communities, while fostering the values of democracy and social justice.
The Director of Development and Marketing is a member of KFAI’s leadership team who reports to and collaborates with the General Manager and is responsible for managing and advancing KFAI’s Development and Marketing activities.
- Provides strategic thinking, planning, and leadership to promote station-wide financial and programming growth
- Develops, administers, and evaluates fundraising goals, budgets, and calendars to support and sustain KFAI’s mission and programming
- Collaborates with the Board of Directors, General Manager, staff, and volunteers to identify both funding and promotional opportunities
- Leads external fundraising efforts, including: major gifts, planned giving, capital campaigns, underwriting, endowments, and grants
- Recruits and manages a small team of contract underwriting representatives, entailing the delegation of contracting, redirection of advertising inquiries, and management of scheduling and invoicing
- Coordinates with the Content Manager to ensure that sponsored underwriting is produced and accounted for.
- Builds and maintains relationships with major donors, private foundations, corporate sponsors, grant-making organizations, and community stakeholders
- Collaborates with the General Manager in the planning of special fundraising events and leads volunteers in the execution of these projects
- Prepares regular analysis of the station’s financial health
- Directs marketing in a coordinated, multimedia effort to connect with our audience
- Assists with internal fundraising efforts, such as membership drives and special programming events
- Creates print and digital marketing materials, such as press releases, newsletters, brochures, blog and social media posts, and other digital assets as needed
- Formulates and implements innovative strategies and special initiatives for increasing revenue while holding fast to our missions of community service and social justice
- Maintains awareness of and analyzes trends in the community, local economy, and industry
- Ensures a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion of all persons, without exception
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree (Business, Nonprofit/Arts Administration, or related field is a plus) or
equivalent years of experience
- At least three (3) years of previous successful development experience in a nonprofit
environment. Broadcasting is preferred.
- Demonstrated familiarity with nonprofit fundraising including marketing, communications,
event planning, and grant research
- Proven excellent verbal and written skills
- Affinity for leadership with a high capacity for mentorship, communicative planning, and
the inspiration of cooperation
- Technological savvy and computer literacy, including competency in social media
marketing and online fundraising best practices
- Ability to analyze and interpret concrete and abstract data, technical procedures,
financial reports, and applicable government laws and regulations
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including weekends, early, morning and
evening hours as needed
- Experience handling confidential information appropriately
- Ability to speak effectively to multiple groups of people including colleagues, volunteers,
board members, and the general public
- Ability to organize, multi-task, and effectively function in a fast-paced environment to set
and achieve short and long term goals
- Ability to work well in multiple environments and comfortably with people different than
- Passion, integrity, intellectual curiosity, self-direction, mission-driven attitude, and a
sense of humor
- Commitment to community building and experience in establishing connections
Desirable Experience – Fundraising, Development, Marketing, Donor/Client Relations, Nonprofit
Leadership, Event Planning, Project Management, Graphic Design, Sales or other applicable
Desirable Technological Proficiencies: Salesforce, Microsoft Office, MailChimp, Marketron or
Virtual Traffic, Customer Relationship Management, and Adobe Suite (or other comparable
60% Development, 20% Underwriting, 20% Marketing
Compensation commensurate with experience. Opportunity for generous bonuses based upon
fundraising performance. Medical and dental included.
The deadline to apply is Friday, October 23 at 5 pm CDT.
Applications, consisting of a cover letter and a resume, should be emailed to email@example.com .
Female, Black, Indigenous, and people of color are encouraged to apply.
KFAI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion,
gender expression, gender identity, age ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental
abilities, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, as well as any other category
protected by federal, state, or local laws.
< Return to Jobs and Opportunities